The Empire Theatre, Liverpool is a Grade 2* listed Frank Matcham theatre. It was opened in 1925 and is the largest 2 tier theatre in the country with 2,350 seats. It has a neo-classical style façade in portland stone and is in a strategic position opposite St George’s hall in the cultural quarter of central Liverpool.
Phase 1 included: access improvements, cleaning façade, fabric repairs, canopy repairs, front of house remodelling and refurbishment, auditorium refurbishment and redecoration, forming orchestra pit and lift, stage improvements, new build stage extension into adjacent street from basement to fly tower, new flying system, new stage, remodelling dressing rooms, technical rooms and new galleries to fly tower.
Phase 2 included: compulsory purchase then demolition of adjacent property, new build front of house extension containing new box office, theatre bar, hospitality suite and box office foyer in three storey glazed atrium linked to existing theatre, featuring a hand painted and silk screen printed elevation by renowned Architectural Glass Artist Martin Donlin